We've always known Ashley would need braces, and it's about that time. She's got some issues that can't really wait any longer, so we've been interviewing orthodontisits all month. Wednesday is our last visit of 4, and I can't tell you how glad we'll be to have the research part of this little venture over and done with!
What have we learned so far? (Besides the fact that Orthodontics is a great way to make a living, or that for the same amount of money we could buy our teenagers a good used car?!)
Ortho#1: The orthodontist who's office is literally located 5 minutes from our house is expensive, and is the only ortho who differs in opinion from the others. Their price tag? $7000 and then dental implants for Ashley's 2 missing teeth once she turns 18.
I thought that was bad.
A quick 30 minute drive takes us either to Federal Way or Sumner. In Sumner we were courted like they wanted us to be part of the family.... or their college basketball team. We both really liked the office (posh surroundings are always pleasant) and staff. Friendly is an understatement. There is a fantastic rewards program for kids who brush well. Truly- they make having braces comparable to a trip to Disneyland. Oh the fun! The 3 orthos in that office are LDS, and if money has to go somewhere, I like giving it to people who will probably pay tithing on it. We liked their suggested treatment plan. Their work is absolutely beautiful. Price tag: $10,500. Plus 3 extractions at the dentist office. (but no implants) Ouch! Looks like we would personally be paying for all those gift cards and free meals they give out. Last week they sent Ash a certificate for a free meal at Red Robin. Just to thank her for going in for a consult. They sent Layle a $20 Starbucks gift card for referring us to them. (And I imagine to push us over the edge in their general direction, since we haven't made a decision yet.)
In Federal Way we took a walk down memory lane.... For me. Old office- circa 1980. Blue industrial carpet, light blue laminate countertops, dark wood trim, and an accent wall with dark wood paneling on it, top to bottom. Scholastic Book Club puppy and kitty posters on the ceiling instead of TV's. The ortho looks like a sweet little old, white-haired, temple worker. He probably is one. He's semi-retired, and his Triple combination was out on his desk when we arrived. Same treatment plan suggestion as Ortho #2, and a $5500 price tag. A little over 1/2 the cost!! Instead of telling us to have 3 teeth pulled, he told Ash if she's motivated, she can get those out herself over the next month. No need to spend money on extractions. I like this guy. He has 8 kids. Can you tell? :-) No bells and whistles with this one, but he's the age of a tree.... He must know what he's doing?! Or is he up to date enough??? The Sumner crew sure doesn't think so. They like him but think his work isn't up to snuff. "Her smile wouldn't be quite right," they told us. Of course, it's not Bill O'Riley's world, so you can't rely on them to fair and balanced. But 5 kids in our ward go to this guy- several of their siblings are graduates- and the kids and parents like him. This is our dilemma.
So- off to Ortho #4 on Wednesday. Who knows what we'll find there. Closer to home by distance, but it's South Hill, so it might still take us 30 minutes to get there in traffic. Ironically, he too is LDS. I'm hoping for some sort of orthodontic revelation as we enter his office. One that says "This is the place, and oh-by the way, they'll do a fantastic job for only $4000!"
A girl can dream.
And encourage her kids to all become orthodontists.
Christmas in St. George
13 years ago




Great idea!! I'm pretty sure your #1 option is the same guy we go to...just past Costco? He is making a pretty penny on us! He did my ortho work when I was in jr. high, and he has done Megan (who is on her second set of braces...very much needed!!) and he will soon start Zachary...maybe in a couple years. Anna and Amelia will also need his services! Combining White and Kayner teeth!! AHHH!! :) :)
ReplyDeletemom took me for my work on south hill just by best buy and the guy there was lds too but unfortunately dont know the cost but i do know he does great work the us navy drs and dentists have told me the best work they have seen
ReplyDeletei'm praying that since i didn't need them and matt didn't need them, that our kids won't? a mom can hope!
ReplyDeleteRyan is talking about our family dentist, not an orthodontist. I am glad his work is good since we still go to him. I couldn't take all this pressure! Zowie! How can things be so hard! And so costly.
ReplyDeleteI am coming to hate medical stuff. This week I have an eye exam and a colonoscopy. The prep is a two-day deal for the colonoscopy. UGH. Had one 13 years ago and have been procrastinating for the past 3 years. My doctor got after me when I was there, so I am doing it, reluctantly.
Had a mammo scheduled as well but they called yesterday to change that. That was also a postponed trip, which they made me feel like I was doomed since I didn't go in October. There is guilt to be had in abundance it appears.
Medical week for me. I will be glad when it is over. Then I will have done it all, I think. . .