Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Ending of an Era

So- Typically the Easter Bunny visits us on Saturday- Easter Eve.  It's been that way for about 10 years.  We love it.  It works well.  It keeps Easter Morning's focus where it should be. This year however, we had some set backs, and we just weren't ready on time.  So- much to our kids' amazement, the Easter Bunny didn't show on Saturday morning.  Or on Saturday afternoon (which has happened a time or two).  

Saturday night, we set out the baskets, and sent Caleb to bed reminding him that just like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny won't come if he's still awake and moving throughout the house.  We told him specifically to stay in bed.  He asked if he could read for a while, and we said yes.  By about 9:30 or 10:00, I was tired and really needed to get to bed.  So I got out the Easter stuff.  Ash was reading in the living room, so I took the candy, plastic eggs, baskets, etc. into the family room so Doug and I could assemble everything.  As I was sitting there taking goodies out of bags, I thought to tell Ashley to stand watch in case Caleb came back downstairs.  But I didn't tell her.  Cause Caleb's a rule follower, and wouldn't dare come downstairs.  And of course, Ash would help us protect the secret if he came down....  Ha!  Just as we have EVERYTHING out and scattered on the family room floor, I hear this voice next to me say, "I KNEW it!  I knew you were the ones who filled the baskets!"

Doug and I froze in place, looked at each other, and started to laugh.  Seriously- I really felt like crying, but that would be silly, so I laughed and sent Caleb back to bed.  And hollered at Ashley for not sounding the alarm as he walked past her.  I guess that's what you get with those two kids.  Ashley was so engrossed in the book she was reading, that she didn't even  notice that Caleb walked past her.  Caleb was so thrilled with the Percy Jackson book he had just finished (#2), that he had to share with us.  He was overcome, and just couldn't stay in his room.

Sigh.  So ends an era.  Caleb, of course has shared with us that he's had doubts about Santa for a while- "I mean really- how could he ever fit down the chimney?!"  And now that he knows for certain about the Bunny-- well it just stands to reason, that parents do all of it.  How thrilling to know the truth!  He thinks it's so cool.   I think it's sad.  We are now a household of non-believers.  I thought maybe we'd get to continue for another year or so, but with Caleb in 2nd grade, and kids talking...  I guess this was inevitable.  The difference with him is, that when all the others finally "knew", there were still siblings who didn't.  Now we're done with this part of our parenting, and I'm a little sad. 

It was fun being the Santa-Bunny!

1 comment:

  1. I remember feeling a little sad when that era ended for us. At least he took it well and is happy to be in on the "secret."

    ReplyDelete