Monday, April 19, 2010

Caleb Takes 2nd at District Science Fair!

This past weekend was the District Science Fair competition.  We thought we would be sitting this one out.  Caleb earned an Honorable Mention award for his project at the school competition last February, which didn't quite qualify him to move on to the District Fair, but did make him an alternate. Each school had a certain number of participants they could send.  They could also name 2 Honorable Mentions/alternates.   We thought it was pretty great to be one of those, and prepped Caleb that he did well, and we were probably done for this year.  Caleb was bummed, but hopeful that someone would decide not to compete and make room for him. Well that's exactly what happened.  Here are some highlights of the weekend~

Setting up at the Western WA Fairgrounds Wednesday evening.  The display boards were set up and on display to the public throughout the Spring Fair last weekend.


Caleb presenting to the judges bright and early Saturday morning. 
He told the judges from memory, about the basic structure of an atom, how static electricity is formed, and the details regarding the set up, execution, and results of his experiment.  Caleb was thrilled that he didn't need to look at his board or note cards during his presentation.  Caleb also answered some questions the judges had.  Parents weren't allowed to be in the presentation area, so I had to snap pics from afar.  I really wanted video, but it wasn't allowed.  Grrrrrr.


The 2nd grade participants.  There were 23 of them representing the different elementary schools in the PSD.


Caleb receiving his 2nd place ribbon at the awards ceremony Sunday night.  (His best 2nd grade buddy JJ, is the Korean boy on the far left of this picture.  He won an Honorable Mention award.  It was fun that they got to go to Districts together.)


2nd Place for the 2nd grade competitors. 
Caleb is so excited, and we are too.  Not bad for his first science fair project! 

3 comments:

  1. that's exciting! Caleb and Brielle are definitely 2 different kids ... she's doing her project on flowers and whether or not the different varieties of flowers will change colors when you put them in different colored waters ... it's the artist in her ... she's not really into the "other" kind of science. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Caleb! I've always hated science and dread the thought of any of my kids entering the science fair because I know I will be of NO help to them. I'm impressed with any kids who can enter with confidence and then take home a ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Caleb! We're doing a science fair at my school in early May so everyone is busy, busy with their projects. I was bragging about how my 1st grade nephew won an award at the district level.
    Science is awesome :)
    I'm sorry you missed the video opp. I would have loved to watch it too.

    ReplyDelete