So now we're staring the end of our time with Tyler in our home, in the face. One more year together, and anything beyond that is icing on the cake. Sigh. So I'm feeling sentimental today; like I need to savor every moment of his 18th year. I'm trying to think of what I haven't taught him yet, or what we haven't done that I'll regret once Tyler is an adult. All this as I'm fully aware that our most influential time as parents is past with Tyler. As I do my little inventory, I am thankful for these things:
- Tyler is a great kid.
Tyler is an A student with only a few exceptions over the past 4 years.
Tyler has a great sense of humor. He has mastered the art of sarcasm. For today's purposes, I'll say that's a good thing. :-)
Tyler is a good athlete. We have loved watching him wrestle, play soccer, football, and run track. So many good memories!
Tyler has a tender heart.
Tyler has a great smile, and we love it when he thinks something is funny. He still gets the same look he did when he was a year old and would laugh at something we said or did. Love it.
Tyler has a strong personality and desire to lead. He's always been an aspiring adult. He's always known where he stands on an issue, how he feels, and that those things are right! (I can relate to this uncomfortable syndrome. Poor Ty- sorry to have passed that on!) Case in point: When I was pregnant with Tyler, he would regularly shove his little foot up under my ribs. It was so uncomfortable! I would nudge his foot away from my ribs, and he'd kick back. If we pushed anywhere on my stomach, he'd push back. This was a ton of fun until he was born, and we realized that this was Tyler's strong will making itself known. Tyler tried to come out the birth canal forehead-first- resulting in that C-section. Leave it to Ty to buck the system and try to do it his way. Life has gone on like that. But- it's all been worth it because Tyler has also brought us great joy. I've learned a lot from this sometimes mini-me. Painful? Sure. Necessary? Yep.
Tyler's personality has served him well as he's worked as a referee at soccer games. Tyler backs down to no one- regardless of age. He knows what he feels is right, he makes the call. End of discussion. This has created some frustrating multi-chief moments in our home, but there are Indians out there somewhere who will need a leader. LOL! I know Ty will be ready.
I am counting on those traits to continue to help Tyler be happy, live the gospel, to accomplish the things he needs to as he goes off to college, serves a mission, chooses a companion, and raises and provides for a family. I think that's why he's been blessed with them. I'm thankful we've been blessed with Tyler. I hope I've learned what I needed to learn from him.
Tyler, thank you. We love you! Happy Birthday!!




No comments:
Post a Comment