Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tyler's Final Wrestling Season

OK- Here is the condensed version:

Tyler worked hard in the preseason, and throughout the regular season as well. As a result, he wrestled a great season! The RHS wrestling staticians have Tyler's record as follows: 36 wins, 11 losses, 17 pins, 1 tech, 4 majors, and total points scored @ 273.5. Takedowns = 66, 22 escapes, and 7 reversals. Tyler took 4th place at 130# @ the SPSL League Tournament in December. He defaulted to 4th, which was a strategic decision on his part. His coach was furious, but it ended up being a good choice for Tyler. At the Regional Tournament, Tyler placed 2nd. At the State Tournament, Tyler placed 8th.

Rogers has a "Win Club." It's the list of wrestlers who have a certain number of wins for each season. It's a Hall of Fame-type thing that goes back to the year 2000. Tyler was in the 20 Win Club for 2009, with 27 wins, and 2010 with 25 wins. Tyler entered the 30 Win Club for 2011, with 36 wins. Great job!!

Tyler also entered the Individual Wrestling Record Hall of Fame for one of the top 9 RHS wrestling records (ever). Tyler placed top 8 of all RHS wrestlers for Career Wins with a total number of wins @ 89, 2008-2011.

Tyler mentioned to me that he wishes he had known/understood what he knows and understands now, a couple of years ago. He feels he would have been able to apply that information and do better. That said- Tyler has been a great wrestler. Learning is half the journey, and Tyler has learned and grown a lot as an athlete, and as an individual throughout his years in the sport.

Some people have been critical or have not understood the amount of time we have spent with Tyler and this sport. It really has been a lot of effort. For Tyler, for Doug as his main coach, and for the whole family. There have been sacrifices. Regardless of how it ended- even if Tyler had not placed at State, I feel it was worth it. Wrestling has done for Tyler in many ways, what Scouting does for other kids. It has taught him, and helped him in his life.
Tyler was bitterly disappointed with the State outcome. We all thought he would place quite a bit higher than he did. Friday was a good wrestling day, and Saturday wasn't. Who can say why it went the way it did? Maybe Tyler knows. Any way you slice it, competition @ that level is tough. Just getting to State is a big deal in most weight classes. There were upsets, and predicted victories. Some of the kids were thrilled, and others were crying. Tyler will likely be replaying the last couple of matches for many years to come. Stinks that you can't go back and re-do it.


A few months later, what I remember most about that tournament, is this: Grandpa and Chad were there to support Tyler. We were there. We all did what we could to help in any small way that might be meaningful to Ty. I hope he felt that love and support. It is more important than the wrestling.

Tyler was a good sport the entire tourney. He went back and supported his team after lunch, and stood on the podium even though I know he would rather have been ANYWHERE else. As a mother, it means a lot to see your child be his best self even under difficult and extremely disappointing circumstances.

Ty let is talk with him, and he let me hug him. That meant a lot. When your child is grieving, all you want to do is somehow take away the pain. Which of course, you can't do. It's hard if they aren't ready for you to be near them, and offer love and support. Afterall- we were grieving too! Ty probably did that for me. I needed to show him I love him, cause I couldn't do anything else. May not have made him feel better, but it made me feel better! Ty cried a lot. It was very, very hard for him, and as a result, for us. He also spent time with us, and we talked and laughed a bit. I was really impressed with how well Tyler handled those first couple of days (Thanks, Ty.) He spent time with his friends, and talked through things a lot. A couple of them suffered disappointments too. It was group therapy.

I remember the Closing Ceremonies when the wrestlers who placed, all paraded in to the Tacoma Dome. They were supposed to come in by school. Made me cry, cause when I looked down there and found Tyler, I saw that he was with the boys he started wrestling with when he was 6. They go to Rogers and Emerald Ridge. They should have come in separately- divided by schools, but those boys stuck together, and I liked that. It was a nice way to end the Era, and it was good for them to be able to support each other.

Tyler had a scholarship offer pending from Southern Virginia University, which he declined as soon as the season was over. He was burned out, disappointed, and ready to be done. Totally understandable. About a week ago, he told me that decision was a mistake. LOL. It's in his blood.

So- As parents, are we glad it's over? Yes- I think we are. Certainly for me, there were tears along the way, as we were wrapping up the season. Many, many good memories, and so much work.... It's hard not to be nostalgic. But now that the dust has settled, I am thinking ahead to October and beyond, and how free it will seem to simply go watch a couple of soccer games. Once the middle of December hits, we'll be free! I don't even remember what that is like, but I'm ready to start our next chapter. Which may or may not include being a Wrestling Mom......

No comments:

Post a Comment