Wednesday, May 4, 2011

December 2010

December was a busy month, as it always is. Here's how we spent our time- in a nutshell.

Doug's 48th birthday was December 1st. He's pretty low key as far as birthdays go. We celebrated as a family. Roast for dinner, and cheesecake for dessert.

Doug's parents came to town for Caleb's baptism. (see Baptism post) While they were here, they got to see Ashley play soccer, as well as watch Tyler wrestle in a dual meet on the same night as they attended Sierra's winter band concert. It was a blessing that those 2 events took place at Rogers so we could go back and forth between them instead of missing one or the other!

The day Grandma and Grandpa left to go home I woke up in the night with a terrible ear ache, which was followed by respiratory issues, coughing, body aches, etc. The worst of it lasted for over a week, The coughing, fatigue and head ache lasted through the 2nd week of January. I can honestly say, I have never been so sick, for so long. Doug helped with my clients during the first week or so when I really couldn't train them. After that, I did what had to be done, and rested in my down time. Christmas baking didn't happen, cards/Christmas letter didn't go out, and shopping was kept to a minimum. I did a lot of it online.

The week after we attended the Christmas concert for Sierra, there was one for Ashley at Kalles. Nothing at the grade school this year. I didn't sing in Sacrament meeting, because I wasn't well enough to do it. I had planned to sing Gesu Bambino, and was hoping Sierra would join me with her oboe. That's a hope for another year..... But definitely still on my bucket list!


Doug and Jack hung Christmas lights. Our house and trees were beautiful this year! Doug does such a classy, pretty job with them. (So- I had planned to put a picture of them here, but I can't find it. Argh!)


We asked Caleb if he wanted to go see Santa, and he really didn't want to. That's actually something he has never wanted to do. Since he doesn't believe in Santa anyway, it's a done deal from this point forward. Weird to be beyond that stage entirely.


Christmas~
Since I'm writing this in May 2011, I am having a hard time remembering Christmas. It may be because I was feeling so poorly through it all.... This is what I know: It was a nice Christmas. Low key. We did the usually Carlyle stuff: food buffets, traditional breakfast casserole Christmas morning, the kids put together some puzzles, and we went to a movie together. This year, it was Tron. I have to say- it wasn't my favorite, but we had a good time together.





Sierra and the sweater Gma Carlyle made for her


Ashley and her Penguin Pillow Pet


New boots and a pleather jacket


Caleb and the sweater Gma Carlyle made for him


What scientist can work, without a lab coat and test tubes?!


Father-daughter LOVE


Doug and Caleb building a motorized vehicle with the new Erector set


Tired kids!








In the midst of the Christmas happenings, I was planning a 5-Stake New Year's Eve dance and party for the youth. How I ended up in charge of this event is beyond me. It wasn't my assignment at the beginning of the year, but somehow when the end came, and the other members of the Stake Youth Committee were all tired, the Stake Presidency decided that the Secretaries of the YM and YW should chair the event. That was me for the YW. What a headache that became! Suffice it to say, that help was minimal, and frustrations were high. I finally let the powers that be know that I couldn't do it alone, and if there was not more help, it would truly be "bare bones." Not the Super-Event they were hoping for.



Ultimately, the members of our little committee pulled through beautifully with their assignments. (They were young couples and a little sketchy at the beginning, and I was REALLY concerned. They must have picked up on that at some point... Plus they knew I was sick. Thankfully, at the last minute they completed their tasks)



We had an "A New Year Around the World" theme. We made silhouettes of famous landmarks from around the world, and white lights hung around the perimeter of the room. It was simple, but lovely. I wish we had pictures! (Someone else has the assignment, and I'm not sure if they ever got done or not..... ) The DJ did a great job. We had a game room with ping pong, foos ball, and a quick shot game. Karaoke/Guitar Hero video games. Lots to do. The Youth had a great time. It would have been nice to see my own kids there... Tyler and Sierra were both old enough to go, but stayed home with the family and the food buffet I created for them before I went to the church.



Doug and the kids helped me create a lighted ball that we dropped at midnight. The streamers, horns, hats, tiaras and noise makers that I had ordered were a huge hit with the Youth, and the chaperones did show up, even though they didn't want to. (I would have rather been home with my family too... Thankfully, our Stake won't be in charge of this event for another 5 years. Plus I've done my time. Someone else's turn next time!) I think we ended up with about 200 kids there. It was great. Doug came with the kids at midnight to help us un-decorate, and I was thrilled that it was over.


As it always seems to happen, I woke up on New Year's Day amazed that another entire year had passed. I was ready for 2011. And as it always seems to happen, it's nearly half gone now, and I can't believe how the time flies. I am glad I started blogging so I can store the memories for longer than my mind can hold on to the little details!

1 comment: