Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Fall 2010 Nutshell

I knew I'd been busy and that I haven't kept up on the blog, but until I logged on today, didn't realize that it had been 6 months since my last post. Since the intent of the blog was in part to have a journal of our family's memories, activities, and defining moments, I'm going to summarize the last 6 months over the next several posts.


Here's Fall 2010.... In a nutshell:


Ashley turned 13 on September 24th, 2010. We celebrated with biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast (better known as heart-attack-on-a-plate), and homemade donuts instead of Birthday cake. These are two of Ashley's favorites that we don't have very often cause I'm always trying to cook healthfully.

Caleb and Ashley played soccer August through November for Caleb, and through the first weekend of December for Ashley. For the most part, the weather was dry all season, which we really appreciated! Games took us to Bainbridge and Vashon Islands, along with the local closer to home games. Both kids wore #89 on their jerseys, in true Carlyle tradition. Dad's football number works for Futbol too!






Tyler's final wrestling season of his High School career began. He worked hard in the preseason, set up a strength training schedule with his dad, and started running in order to prepare. In October, Doug and Tyler flew to Iowa for Pre-Season Nationals, and in November, I took Ty up to Everett for the Predator Tournament. Doug and Ty have had that experience together a lot; it's been very few times that Doug hasn't been able to be there. Christmas Lights were in full swing, so Ty and I were on our own. Literally. Tyler didn't have a coach, since this wasn't part of school and he didn't belong to another team. He wasn't worried cause he knows what to do, but the Officials wanted a coach in the corner of the mat when Tyler wrestled. So-- I bought a coaching pass, and sat there in case he needed me. :-) I asked Tyler if he wanted me to actually coach him, or to be quiet. (I was totally joking) He got this funny smirk on his face and told me it'd be best if I just didn't say anything. It was a funny moment, and an enjoyable day together. Tyler placed 2nd in the Tourney.

Tyler and Shannon went to Homecoming together. Dinner was less than fun for the guy who had to travel to Iowa and be on weight the following weekend!
October and November were very busy for Sierra. She played the oboe in the pit for Rogers' production of Phantom of the Opera. Rehearsals were daily, many of them early in the a.m. or lasting until 9 or 10 o'clock at night. RHS was the first high school in the U.S. to have this opportunity, and they wanted to do a great job. They did. It was so well done! The orchestra was fantastic! Often times there are professional musicians hired to come in and round out the sound or play the more difficult parts when high schools do musical productions. Rogers did bring in an organist, but the rest of the pit was comprised of Rogers students. Sierra isn't convinced she'll spend that much time and effort again, but I hope she will. (this is an annual event @ RHS) It was exhausting for her, and the music was challenging, but from this end, it was worth it. Bravo! (and she managed to keep on top of her grades and Seminary attendance the whole time. Impressive!)


Caleb turned 8 on November 22, 2010. He looked forward to this day for a long time! He wanted to host a party, but due to the Thanksgiving holiday, other family events, etc. we couldn't make it happen. If we had been able to do it, Caleb desperately wanted the theme to be "The Periodic Table of the Elements." I laid awake at night trying to figure out how I was going to pull that one off and still have typical 7 and 8 year olds enjoy it!!




Caleb with his Periodic Table of the Elements book. The only gift he asked for!

Birthday Highlights: It snowed (the first snow of what would be a week of it- no school for the next several days), and the power went out. We took treats to school and his friend Cole Parker came over after school. They spent hours outside in the snow and had a great time.


Caleb also joined Cub Scouts and earned his Bobcat rank. He is moving quickly through that Bear book with the goal of earning that rank as soon as possible. Caleb loves Cub Scouts!

The day after Thanksgiving we traveled to Seattle with Caleb to be with him as he participated in the Seattle Marathon, Kid's Marathon. Caleb and a couple thousand other participants ran 25 miles during the month of November. On this last Saturday of the month, they came together at the Seattle Center and ran the final 1.2 miles of the marathon distance. One parent got to run with the child, so I ran with Caleb, and Doug took pictures. It was a great event, complete with post-race food and goodie bags, a T-shirt, and participant medal. We were so proud of the way Caleb set the goal and then worked to complete it. He worked hard, and a couple of times ran 5 miles on the treadmill in one session- taking breaks for water after each mile.






No comments:

Post a Comment